Monday, May 15, 2017

A daughter's plead: Mai apki hoon


When my daughter started talking, she would always remind me now and then, 
"mai apki hoon" (I am yours) 
and I would laugh to myself...Ofcourse you are mine. My sweet little bunny wunny. But this little girl have expressed this same feeling in every emotion one may know.

When she's happy, it's an exclamation: mai apki hoon!
When I'm angry at her, it's a reassurance: mai apki hoon..
When i show love to my elder kid, it's a reminder: mai apki hoon.
When im just lost in my thoughts, it's a daily routine: mai apki hoon.
When her father shows love to her, she will disclaim and tell him: mai mama ki hoon.

I now realize the difference between a daughter and a son. My elder kid is a typical son. I only exist when he needs something from me. Else he's just lost in his world of toys...cars...tv...fights etc. Daughters are full of expression --well that's how they function. A daughter's world starts with the mother and never ends.
A four-year old smart and innocent girl...with big navigating eyes..full of all radar-abilities. If I happen to leave the bed, she will instantly wake from deep sleep and ask,
"where are you going, mama?"
"washroom"
"can I come too?"
Goodbye privacy. Welcome watch-you-pee-excitement.

Last whole year her sleep routine was very non-human. She used to wake till 3-4 midnight and sleep all day till 1 pm.  The time when everyone was fast asleep she would just be either singing songs to her doll or playing with her toys under the night bulb. But then they say the most creative thoughts come at the most odd times, right?

Well, one day I suddenly woke up at 3 am and couldn't find her. When I turned around I saw her sitting below where my hair were tangling. (Yeah, my mistake, I throw open my hairs back during sleep) She had my small scissor and an explanation in her hand:
 ""Mama, I cut your bad hairs!"
 "What? why? Give me that scissor!"
The other day, i mean night, she had cut off her hairs. Thank God I could settle them for bangs. But now the scissor had to be hidden far far away.  But all-hail to creativity of a non-human-routine-toddler!  sigh!

One fine night, I woke up to a similar situation. Only my toddler had no tools this time. 
" Then what!??", I thought to myself.. looking here and there for clues. Everything was on place...but just the feeling was not right. Snifff...sniff....I could smell perfume. Very close. I ran fingers down my hairs thinking... and my fingers went wet. 
I just had been given a perfume hair wash. 
"Hareeeeeeeeeeeem!!! Noooooo! !@#$%^&!"
I ran into the washroom to wash it off. I guess part of my wit also washed off that day.

My daughter is my soul. She's a part of me. And she's taking it VERY seriously. Whenever I hope to travel alone, get my bag and wear my shoes, I see a little version of me quickly grabbing her bag and fitting her shoes. At the age of 4, she has become my shopping partner.
She has also given me a name, "mama bubbly". Lol. How the mind of a toddler works!!
I often think, I don't really need her reminder of "mai apki hoon". I know in the depth of my heart that she is mine. She'll always be mine. Forever mine.
Happy Mother's Day to all !

Chronically yours,
 Mama Bubbly.


1 comment:

  1. My heart! Sara, you are so lucky to have such a beautiful, expressive and affectionate daughter! I bet you are a great mom to your kids!

    ReplyDelete